Key Board Messages - Poutūterangi 2023 / March 2023
E whakaaro ana ki rātou mā kua nunumi atu. Hoki wairua atu rā ki ou nui, ki our ahi i te pō.
Ka mihi ki tātou te hunga ora e noho ora mai i tēnei ao mārama, tēnā tātou katoa.
The boards of Te Kīwai Mauī and Te Korowai came together before Te Korowai’s bi-monthly hui on Rāmere 3 Poutūterangi 2023 (Friday 3 March 2023) to wānanga on the Pupuke te Hihiri Whai Rawa Impact Investment Strategy.
The Board approved the strategy and Trustees now look forward to communicating it to Hapū. This is a great outcome for our people as we rethink the way we invest and bring those investments closer to home, producing direct benefits for uri. It is an exciting space for us to be in!
Whai Rawa investments focus on social, cultural and economic outcomes. The profit from these investments are reinvested into further Whai Rawa investments – in doing so, building a circular Ngāruahine economy.
So far, three developments have been identified to produce direct benefits – these are a community
space in Manaia (Project Tūkau), Te Rere o Kapuni and a kāinga project.
Other highlights from the Board hui:
- Te Korowai received a quarterly investment performance report from Te Kīwai Mauī Chair, Taari Nicholas. Taari briefed the Board on the financial impacts to our rohe of the war in Ukraine and the changing climate.
- Te Korowai received updates on mahi in the tari from the Tumu Whakarae, whenua reacquisition, upcoming Trustee Elections 2023, the Iwi Registry, Te Paepae o Aotea and our Trustee representatives working with STDC.
- Te Korowai agreed to support an intervention by our whanaunga Ngāti Ruanui in the judicial review application lodged by the ‘Students for Climate Solutions Incorporated’ of the way. the Crown issues new exploration permits for onshore oil and gas exploration.
In other news:
- The new Mana Hautū of Te Kīwai Mauī, Jayde Wilkinson was welcomed into his role.
- Te Korowai and Ngāruahine Iwi Authority formally recognised their enduring relationship with the signing of the kawenata at Te Aroha o Tītokowaru on the evening of Rāpare 2 Poutūterangi (Thursday 2 March).
- Te Korowai congratulates Aotea Utanganui, Ngā Purapura o te Taihauāuru and Te Reanga Mōrehu o Ratana for their stands at Te Matatini last week, as well as all of our other teams who won their respective rohe whakataetae and stood as proud uri on the national stage. E pohokererū ana mātou i o koutou tū! Taukē!
- Te whakataka o te mauri o Te Matatini will arrive at Ratana Pā on Rāhoroi 15 Paengawhāwhā (Saturday 15 April). A rātaka will become available when the finer details are confirmed. Planning is now underway for Taranaki to host Te Matatini 2025