Our journey has only just begun
For the purpose of the Treaty Settlements, the Ngāruahine area of interest extends from the Taungatara Stream at the northern-most boundary to the Waihi Stream at the southern-most boundary. The area also encompasses Egmont National Park, including te Tupuna Koro o Taranaki (Mount Taranaki) and overlaps with Taranaki Iwi (west), Te Atiawa (north), Ngāti Maru (north-east) and Ngāti Ruanui (east).
The negotiation process was managed by Nga Hapu o Ngaruahine Iwi Inc which included establishing Te Korowai o Ngaruahine Trust who at the end of 2016, received the settlement assets and is responsible for managing and growing those assets.
- Ngakaunui – sound judgement. We will will make high quality and prudent decisions based on robust research in a timely manner
- Mahakitanga – respect & humility. We will act and carry out our business with a quiet confidence and humility respect all people and their views, even if they differ to ours.
- Manaakitanga – sharing & caring. We will unconditionally practice manaakitanga in all areas of our business and interpersonal dealings
- Mahi ka tika – transparency. We will ensure that our business practices and major decisions are based on transparent processes, and commit to open public disclosure (provided it is not commercially sensitive)
- Mahi Pono – trustworthiness. We will build the confidence of our members by maintaining our fundamental values and making sure people are informed and empowered as whanau and hapu. We will be deserving of that trust.
- Hari me te koa – fun and celebrate. We will celebrate and acknowledge high performance and achievement by our people. Working with and for Ngaruahine will be a fun and enjoyable experience.